FABULOUS DAY! There are so many incredible experiences of the day that to journal every detail in story format would take pages. So, instead, here is a summary of my day:
– Red sweater school uniform clad primary children with the biggest, whitest smiles and cheerful Good Mornings
– ELEPHANT! It was right on the side of the ride and four of us stopped but we were all too surprised to remember to take a picture.
– Sunrise through the hills of Kenya with a strong wind blowing beautiful clouds. No pictures because the surrounding villagers really don’t like photos (and they all carry and use spears)
– Incredible morning 65km ride on dirt road (of course, corrugated but I had a smile the entire time)
– Warrior Bastiaan and I stopped to greet the locals and they traded spear for bicycle. But when th locals wanted money it was a bit tricky to get out of there!
– Pineapple Fanta stop with beautifully clad women and children
– Sightseeing from the lunch truck of savannas and bush and rock formations (stopped riding at lunch to not set my health backwards)
– Camp camaraderie. It was a difficult day for many, some not arriving until sunset, but our group is so wonderful and supportive of each other through physical, mental, and emotional adversaries. Even the Germans and Dutch were singing shared songs tonight as I type this in my tent.
And all day, I have been humming from Sound of Music, “These are a few of my favorite things!” KLR